Friday, August 8, 2014

Sorority Secrets: Why I Joined

I recently read a post about sororities that said, “If I paid for my friends, I didn’t pay nearly enough.”  I couldn’t agree more. Too often sororities are met with skepticism and judgment.  I totally understand, there is a stigma surrounding sororities and there is definitely a stereotype, it’s hard to look past preconceived impressions. I go to a college where Greek life is still growing (more and more each year!)  Coming from the South I grew up hearing stories about thousands of girls going through recruitment and new member classes of hundreds. 

Honestly, I did not think I would join a sorority.  I figured in New York City I wouldn’t need it.  I didn’t realize just how hard it is to find your niche in the masses of Manhattan.  New York can be a scary and isolating place, after moving in it hit me that I didn’t know a single person. The best way I could see to meet people was by participating in recruitment. It’s a tough process to endure and all of it can be very overwhelming.  But, as cliché as it sounds, you really do end up exactly where you’re supposed to be. 

{Throw what you know}

In the end, after all of the small talk and pleasantries, I really, truly felt like I had a home. I found girls I could easily connect with and learned just how much a sorority has to offer. I have met amazing girls and made many friends, but I have also been informed of career opportunities, participated in fundraisers and philanthropy events - I even got to go to the Dominican Republic for a week with other members of Greek Life to teach English at a school.  Sororities provide connections that can be used after graduation and social skills that will last a lifetime.  

Being in a sorority may not be for everyone, but it certainly is perfect for me.  There will be people that discount the bonds, brushing them off as an act.  There will be people that snidely say we paid for our friends. To that I say - If I paid for my friends, I didn’t pay nearly enough, and I get so much more in return.

Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment