Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Princess Play

If I could be anyone for a day, I would switch places with Kate Middleton, and not just so I can have an amazing blowout.  I want to be a Princess.  Judge me if you will but I dream about Julie Andrews knocking on my door and telling me Genovia is waiting for me. The pretty dresses, the tiaras, horseback rides into the sunset with a handsome Prince – the fantasy stems from Disney Princess envy, we all have it. Honestly, this all stems from my vain desire to have a title.  Having someone say “Your Majesty” or, “Right this way, Your Highness.”  It has a nice ring to it, right? Prince Harry, I am available.

In high school I was able to live out these fantasies by dressing up as Snow White to perform at an annual fundraiser and children’s birthday parties.  You probably think I am crazy, but let me explain.  This was “credit” for a drama class I took at the time and counted as “stage hand hours” – it was either this or building sets, I think you would’ve chosen to dress up like a princess too.  The scary part is I do look a lot like Snow White with the costume on.  I always got a kick out of driving to these parties, you have to arrive dressed up – it’s all about the illusion and you have to be careful to not ruin it.  I would stuff my hoop skirt in the front seat and my mom and I would casually wave at people next to us who would point and stare (this is normal, right?) We would park down the block and walk up to the party – that way the kids couldn’t ask to see the carriage.  


My favorite part of going to these birthday parties was seeing how serious the little girls became as soon as I walked in the door.  After every grand entrance the interrogation would begin, they would ask me where the dwarves were or what my Prince was up to.  These little girls were so excited to see a cartoon come to life. We would dance and play games and at the end I would sing “Happy Birthday” before making a gracious exit.  I always enjoyed being Snow White. It’s fun to be a Disney princess if only for a short while. To these young girls I was “the real deal” and they finally got an opportunity to spend time with their favorite Princess.


Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment