Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Crafternoon: U Gotta Regatta Canvas


I have always loved Lilly and monograms. This summer I have been very in to crafting, it has been my fun “after work activity” and I have had such a great time making canvases for my friends and my dorm room! I actually made this first for a friend when it was her birthday and loved it so much I knew I would have to make one for myself.  Here’s how I did it!


Supplies
Canvas (any size)
Pencil and Ruler
Black Paint Pen (I used the Sharpie brand and love them)
Paint (3 shades of blue, yellow, then any other fun colors for your sails)
Small paint brush
Total Time: about 60-90 minutes

Step One – Monogram
I printed off my monogram the size I wanted it and colored pencil on the back so that I could trace the outline and have the pencil monogram remain.  This is a great technique and I use it a lot when I am crafting – it’s super easy and for a perfectionist like me, very helpful.  Measure the canvas to get the monogram in the middle, outline it and then take the paint pen and fill it in!

Step Two – Sailboats
Fill in around the monogram with sailboats.  I make mine different sizes and play around with triangles, it also looks good to have some go off the canvas. I use the darkest blue for these outlines.

Step Three – Fill It In
All of the boats have yellow bottoms and some of them have partial yellow sails.  I typically do this first.  Then you can go in with the other colors and create patterns on your sails.  I tend to use one color at a time. 

 You should end up with something like this, sails colored in and a blank background.

 Step Four – Waves
Now fill in the waves! Like the sails, I use one color at a time and start from the top working my way down, they can differ in thickness and length.  I typically start with the lighter blues, ending with some accents in the same dark blue as the boats. 

In the end, you have an adorable canvas to hang in your room! I hope you enjoy this Crafternoon! If you make one for yourself, I would love to see it! Tag me and let me know on Instagram @handbagsandheartbeats 

 Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment