Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Turning Twenty

I have always loved birthdays; they are a fairly big deal in my house. When I was younger it was always so fun to have a fall birthday because that meant I was able to celebrate in class with cupcakes! October is my favorite month, partly because of my birthday and Halloween candy (candy corn – yum!) and partly because the weather is always so perfect. Crisp cool air and the leaves beginning to change, it is my favorite time of the year.

{Delicious cake from Momofuku Milk Bar}

On Sunday, I turned 20… I know, ancient, right?! ;) I have to say, I did approach this year with some hesitation.  When I was little I couldn’t wait to be a teenager, it was all I talked about. Now that my teen years are officially over it is very bittersweet.  I am happy to be moving on to bigger and better things – I hear your twenties are the best years. But I also feel like I am leaving my childhood behind which is terrifying.  It’s easy to get freaked out by a birthday and worry that you’re not doing enough, or doing too much, or growing up too fast, or not growing up fast enough.  Pretty soon all you’re thinking about on a day devoted to you is how much you want the day to end.  After much thought, and a mild freak out over a possible grey hair, I came to the realization that birthdays – no matter the year – are honestly great.  I have never felt so loved and appreciated as I did on Sunday when I received phone calls, text messages, and Facebook posts from friends all over the country. From people I saw that day, to people I haven’t seen in years, with every post and comment I grew more and more excited to turn 20. My friends helped make my weekend incredible – taking me out, enjoying brunch with me, and giving me the most thoughtful gifts that were so perfect and sweet. Looking back, I think I can safely say this has been my best birthday yet. I am excited to see what my 20’s have in store and I am looking forward to continuing this journey with such incredible people by my side!  

{Ringing in my 20's with my favorite girls by my side - and brunch, of course!}

{Looks like 20 isn't so bad after all}

Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment