Monday, October 6, 2014

F.O.M.O.

Hi, my name is Caroline, and I am finally going to admit that I suffer from major FOMO – also known as fear of missing out. I hate saying no to things or canceling plans because I am always worried I might miss something exciting…


Lately I have been thinking a lot about time and prioritizing my commitments.  This semester especially the work I have outside of class has involved working with other people to schedule rehearsals and meetings – essentially planning what I am doing around what everyone else is. I always hated group projects growing up, someone never pulls their weight, schedules never add up, and it’s always more work than it’s worth.  Majoring in acting in college means a majority of my homework requires me to meet with scene partners, scheduling outside rehearsals so that we can present scenes in class and work with teachers on the choices we have made.  Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE what I do.  But sometimes it can be hard when you have to turn things down because your scene partner can only meet at a certain time.  There is a give and take that has to occur and you have to prioritize, something I occasionally have problems doing. 


Over the past few weeks I have been slowly trying to embed in my brain that just because I can’t go to something, doesn’t mean I am going to miss out on the best night of my life. Yes, staying at home to write a paper might not be as fun as going to a mixer with my sorority, or catching dinner and a movie with friends - but in college you have to remember why you are here.  My studies are important to me, and more importantly, I genuinely enjoy what I am doing.  Sometimes you just have to do what's best for you.  It is a lesson I am having a hard time learning, but one that I know is necessary.  It is easier as a sophomore, my second year in college, and I don’t feel as much pressure to go out and meet people because I do have a good, solid group of friends. Still, it’s hard to stay home. And it's hard to turn down plans. I know I am not the only one that has to do this, and I am certainly not the only person with FOMO! I am learning that there will be a million “best night of my life” moments to come. At this point I just have to remind myself to do what's best for me and try to avoid stressing about the what if's.

Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment