Wednesday, October 15, 2014

College Football

Tailgating: the act of drinking beer and hovering over Chick-Fil-A nugget trays in a parking lot before a sporting event. Often in the South they can become lavish with oversized tents, large tables of food, televisions hooked up to generators, and a line of fresh burgers on the grill. 
A way to socialize before the game begins.

I grew up attending college football games at Clemson University.  My father went to school there and is a die-hard Tigers fan.  Every year during the season we would spend Saturdays in Clemson attending home games, tailgating and cheering from the stands. College football is a way of life and many people live for these games and enjoy every second – for a good reason.  There is a great sense of community that comes from these events.  Coming home for fall break I knew exactly where in the airport to find my gate because half the plane had Clemson gear on! I love my school and going to college in New York City is amazing, but I do have to say, when I am home for fall break and go to a Clemson game, part of me wishes I had the football weekends too.  The games are always exciting and you see everyone you know just by walking around.

{Every game begins with the team running onto the field!}

I am lucky to have friends at “real schools” so I can experience sporting events and tailgating too! My family still goes to the football games every Saturday and I get phone calls and snap chats about the people who stop by or the latest dish served. I feel like I have been able to have the best of both worlds.  My school has no football team (when you’re campus is New York City it’s a bit hard) and most of the people I meet here are from places where college football isn’t anything special.  Coming from the South where college football is everything, it’s a strange adjustment – you suddenly discover you have so much free time on Saturdays!  I experienced college football for 17 years of my life, now I am able to come back for breaks to get the student experience, visiting friends in school. It was great to be home for the break, tailgate and enjoy the game on Saturday.  I wouldn’t trade my own college experience in the city for anything – but you better believe I still cheer on my Tigers every Saturday in NYC!

Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment