Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Beautiful: The Carole King Musical


Last week I had the opportunity to go see Beautiful: The Carole King Musical on Broadway.  I was excited about the last minute plan and couldn't wait to see the show after hearing wonderful things about it.  I love Carole King's music and knew that it would be a fun show if nothing else.  I was blown away by the performance.  Not only was it entertaining and funny, it was also so much fun and a great way to relax after a hectic day.  

The show reminded me a lot of Jersey Boys, following Carole King's journey as a singer/songwriter.  You get to see her big break and go through her career, hearing about songs she wrote you would have never guessed (like "The Locamotion" among others!) The play chronicles, not only her career, but also her personal life and relationships.  Detailing her early marriage to Gerry Goffin and her friendships with Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann, Carole is portrayed as a compelling and fascinating woman. Someone so normal and down to earth, I immediately wanted to be her friend. I left the theater with an enormous amount of adoration and respect for her.  Chilina Kennedy is currently playing Carole on Broadway and her performance was incredible.  She looked so much like Carole King and was a phenomenal singer and actress.  

Beautiful is an excellent option if you're in the market for a fun, feel-good Broadway show! It has heart, it has humor, and most importantly, great music! At the end I was out of my seat and clapping along as the cast belted out "I Feel the Earth Move." The show is great for all ages, I can't wait to take my mom when she comes to visit soon! 

 Caro

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to see this show for forever! Maybe this summer I'll get around to it.

    ReplyDelete